Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Super Nanny



I don’t like that Super Nanny TV show. Well, a part of me loves it because the parents who appear on the show are usually out of their minds…and I take comfort in knowing that I’m not the only one with parenting issues. And in a prideful way, I figure that my kids aren’t that bad (pats self on the back).

But mostly, when I have tried to watch it, I end up turning it off because it makes me edgy. I yell at my kids enough that I don’t need to watch badly behaved children acting out on TV. The show isn’t really much of an escape and I don’t like getting up from the couch feeling worse than when I sat down.

In other news, I’ve been complaining a lot lately. Not about anyone in particular. Not to anyone in particular. Just generally complaining. Sometimes to others... often just in my head.

…and on and on it goes. All day long.


  • Why are there a hundred stuffed animals STILL thrown behind the couch? Why haven’t the kids taken them upstairs?

  • Why is it that if I don’t do laundry for ONE DAY I end up with 5 loads the next day. How is that possible?

  • What would I give to have my kids sleep in…once in awhile?

  • The side door of the house looks atrocious. When are we gonna’ get it replaced?


I’ve suddenly realized that I’m turning into an annoying Super Nanny episode. While I’m not trying to discipline other people’s kids (although there are moments…) I’ve become a real complainer. Someone that people are not gonna’ want to be around for very long if I keep it up! If I let all these negative thoughts travel from my brain to my mouth, people around me are going to change the channel.

Wow. I’m an annoying Super Nanny episode.

If you’re a friend and you’re reading this, you are either thinking, “Thank God she finally realized it!” (Jen & Becca, keep your thoughts to yourself.) Or you’re the kind of friend who is ready to post how you don’t notice that I complain much and try to make me feel better. I’m not looking to get comforting comments.

I’m just thinking about how everyone has things to complain about and nobody feels better when you throw all your complaints at others on top of what they might already be feeling. It isn’t helpful.

So… in my quest to begin to change my attitude, I searched the scriptures. The Bible has a lot to say about our thoughts and the words we say. Consider these two scriptures:

Colossians 4:6 - Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone. (New Living Translation)

Philippians - Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you. (New Living Translation)

A friend of mine (Amy Calkins) once challenged us in her own blog to go an entire day without complaining. I’ve never forgotten that blog post. I’ve also never had the courage to try it. But I just might have to give it a shot. If you hear me complaining, don’t be afraid to call me on it. Really.

What if I were to change my complaints into gratitude?
  • I’m so glad my kids had toys to play with during our “screen free week”.

  • I’m thankful that we have lots of clothing to wear. In many homes, clean clothes are not an option.

  • My kids are healthy. Even if they don’t sleep in, they are a delight.

  • We own a house and have a door. We are probably wealthier than 75% of the rest of the world.

Need an attitude adjustment? Make a short list of your own complaints and try rewriting them. And then start living it.

And believe me, if you don't you'll end up on the "naughty step."

No comments:

Post a Comment